Johannesburg affectionately called Jozi, Joburg is the heartbeat of South Africa and it attracts people from around the globe every year.
This dynamic city has a rich African culture that is incomparable and accurately reflects South Africa.
Johannesburg is a beautiful city beyond imagination with millions of trees and buildings. Read on for news sources, job sites, classifieds, and general information about this great city.
Local Africa serves you the best in breaking local news, new jobs and vacancies, sales ads and the latest updated weather forecast for the city.
Find local breaking news in business, economy, health, politics and sports. Stay updated with latest events, entertainment, culture and travel. Read updated COVID-19 / Corona pandemic information and news about vaccines and testing.
- Sowetan Live sowetanlive.co.za – one of South Africa’s largest online news publications
- Beeld netwerk24.com/za/beeld – Afrikaans newspaper
- Mail & Guardian mg.co.za – an investigative and comment news publication
- EB News Daily ebnewsdaily.co.za
- The Conversation Africa theconversation.com/africa – news and views from academic and research community
- New Frame newframe.com – a social justice media publication
National news sites in South Africa:
- News24 news24.com – A large news brand with everyday stories of South Africans
- Times Live timeslive.co.za – South Africa’s second-biggest news website
- The Citizen citizen.co.za – a Gauteng-based daily, national newspaper
- Times Live timeslive.co.za – South Africa’s second-biggest news website
- Daily Maverick dailymaverick.co.za
- African Entertainment africanentertainment.com – celebrities and entertainment
- eNCA enca.com – news from South Africa’s large TV and online news brand
- SABC sabcnews.com/sabcnews/ – News from SABC radio and TV Channels
- iOL iol.co.za
- Netwerk 24 netwerk24.com – Afrikaans
Jobs in Johannesburg
Find newly posted jobs, vacancies and services for hire locally. Most sites allow you to post a profile and get e-mail notifications about new jobs that apply to you.
- Trabajo Johannesburg za.trabajo.org/jobs/Johannesburg,+Gauteng
- Learn4good learn4good.com/jobs/johannesburg/southafrica/
- JobVine Johannesburg jobvine.co.za/jobs/city/johannesburg/
- Careers 24 Johannesburg careers24.com – 8.500 jobs
Make sure to search for jobs in the best and biggest job sites in South Africa:
- Fidanto za.fidanto.com – 175.000 jobs
- JobVine jobvine.co.za – a large job portal
- Gumtree Jobs gumtree.co.za – Classifieds Jobs section
- Trabajo za.trabajo.org – portal collection from other sites
- BestJobs bestjobs.co.za – 12.500 jobs
- Careers 24 careers24.com – 8.500 jobs
- Bizcommunity Jobs bizcommunity.com
- JobMail Careers jobmail.co.za
- Freerecruit freerecruit.co.za
On the best and most popular job sites you will find vacancies in all categories of employment: Management, production, maintenance, quality, service, project management, IT, Health and social professions, transport, logistics and HR, but also postings in training, accounting, controlling, finance, marketing and communication. You can filter vacancies by industry such as production, manufacturing, software & IT, education, temporary work, agriculture, mining, engineering, health, pharmacy and hospitals.
Also check out the most popular classifieds sites. Classifieds sites almost always have a jobs & vacancies section, and a place to post your own resume.
For sale in Johannesburg
On classifieds sites, you will find almost anything for sale – and you can post your own item to learn an extra income. Search and filter by categories or by location. Find the best deals in your city as well as nation-wide.
- Gumtree Johannesburg gumtree.co.za/s-johannesburg
- Olx Classifieds Johannesburg olx.co.za/johannesburg
- AdsAfrica Johannesburg johannesburg.adsafrica.co.za
- Junkmail Johannesburg junkmail.co.za/johannesburg
In general, the best South African classifieds and sale listings sites are:
- Gumtree South Africa gumtree.co.za – the largest classifieds site in South Africa with more than 900.000 active listings (2021)
- Olx Classifieds https://www.olx.co.za/ – another leading for sales site with more than 500.000 active listings (2021)
- AdsAfrica adsafrica.co.za – has a large number of ads as well, especially personal ads
- Junkmail junkmail.co.za – also has a fair amount of active ads, especially in the property section.
- Locanto locanto.co.za
- Cars Co ZA cars.co.za – automotive/cars/trucks only
- Autotrader autotrader.co.za – automotive/cars/trucks only
On most classifieds and sales listings sites you will find items for sale in many categories. Most typical are Mobile Phones & Tablets, Electronics, Vehicles, Cars & Trucks, Real Estate, Fashion & Clothes, Jobs & Trainings, Business & Services and Beauty & well being. You will also find available job listings and seeking job / CVs, service ads, repair and construction and commercial equipment and tools.
Weather in Johannesburg
Here you will find updated and accurate local forecasts for the city. Please check the hourly forecast as well as the daily forecasts. We also recommend a good mobile weather app like Weather Channel, AccuWeather or Radarscope to keep you constantly updated.
- 14 day Extended forecast for Johannesburg on Time & Date
- Hourly/Daily/Monthly Forecast For Johannesburg on Accuweather
- Johannesburg 10 Day Forecast Weather.com
The city of Johannesburg is on the Highveld plateau, and its climate is subtropical highland. The country is both temperate and subtropical as it is moderated by ocean on three sides of the country – but it has overall warm temperate conditions. It is also a relatively dry country, with an average annual rainfall of less than 500 mm.
Good national weather links are:
Weather forecasting and weather radars are the most typical ways of staying updated. Weather is typically indicated with sunny, cloudiness, rains and showers, storms and more. Most online weather apps will list the local location, temperature, precipitation, wind speed, humidty and pressure. Some might even include a UV index and what the weather “feels like” (like the chill factor). Forecasts typically look at Highs and Lows during the 24 hour day, wind, precipitation and precipitation chance.
Johannesburg, founded where it stands today because of gold, is the largest city in South Africa. The city once sat near enormous quantities of gold given that at one point the Witwatersrand gold industry produced 40% of the Planets gold.
Johannesburg hosts Portuguese, Greek, Italian, Russian, Polish, and Lebanese communities. Representatives from every ethnic and linguistic community in South Africa make up the population. Most of the white population is of English and Afrikaan descent. The globalization and world cities research network classifies Johannesburg as an alpha global city. It had a population of over 5 million people in 2019, making it South Africa’s most populous region. Languages spoken include English, Sotho, Afrikaan, Nguni, and Tshivenda.
Johannesburg is a city of modern skyscrapers and it boasts of the tallest buildings in Africa. Notable buildings are the Hillbrow Tower, Melrose arch, Sentech Tower, Trust-building bank, Ponte City Apartments, Southern Life Centre, Carlton Centre, and Marble Towers among others.
The city is on the Highveld plateau, and its climate is subtropical highland.
Parks and nature
Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo maintains parks and gardens and is also responsible for planting the city’s many green trees. Johannesburg is one of the greenest cities in the world with an estimation of over four million trees in the city and the number growing every year.
Most state Ministries offices and hundreds of foreign countries’ consular offices operate in the city. Johannesburg is South Africa’s commercial hub, accounting for 16% of the country’s GDP. It is a mining, manufacturing, and financial hub.
South Africa has the best health care system in Africa, with over 200 private hospitals offering world-class services. Johannesburg hosts the world’s largest hospital, which is the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, which can serve 3.5 million people.
Johannesburg has hosted international competitions in rugby football, cricket golf, and tennis. It hosted the official tournament of the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the finals. Thousands of runners meet every Sunday morning for casual runs.
The places of worship are Christian churches and temples, Muslim mosques, Hindu temples, a Sikh Gurudwara (Sikh temple), and many synagogues
Johannesburg has many preschools, primary schools, and high schools. It has a well-developed higher education system of both private and public universities. Public universities in Johannesburg are the University of the Witwatersrand and the University of Johannesburg.
Johannesburg’s public transportation system is very limited, and the city lacks a convenient public transportation system. The city has allocated a significant portion of its budget to the creation of an efficient comprehensive public transportation system.
This historical city with a vibrant culture truly reflects how far South Africa has come and where it is going.
Tip: For additional information about this city, check out local directories for information about residents, culture, businesses and tourism.
More about South Africa on Local-Africa.com
@ 2021 Local-africa.com